The objective of this course is to introduce students to the concept and practice of environmental sustainability: How can business continue to grow while at the same time protect the natural capital of the environment and people for future generation. The course is designed to expand the student’s existing business knowledge to incorporate principles of environmentally sustainable growth.
Economic growth is part of a complex system which also involves the environment, society, and policy. Globalization, opening of new markets, and the increase in free trade can and has brought about great economic growth and opportunity. However, with this growth comes new and often unprecedented challenges in this interconnected world.
Among these obstacles are resource scarcity, poverty and population growth, climatic disasters. Enter the Environmentally Sustainable Business.
Using a systems approach, this course will first introduce the concept and components of sustainable development as well as the environmental and societal impact; explore the global and local environmental concerns; outline successful strategies and approaches to building environmentally sustainable businesses; discuss the costs and impacts of sustainable practices, and learn how to integrate these strategies into existing businesses, as well as measure and monitor their impact. Reviewing case studies, students will also have the opportunity to critique approaches and integrate these new approaches into their existing knowledge, building their business and analytical skills.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Define the principles of sustainable development and understand their importance in the global economy
- Understand the impact of global and local business on key environmental factors understanding the relationship between economic growth, the planet, and society
- Explain the business case(s) for environmental sustainability and the relationships with stakeholders and partners – understand that environmentally sustainable business is good business
- Expand current business knowledge to incorporate environmental sustainability, the principles of the sustainable value model, triple bottom line, and other important strategies
- Discuss frameworks and tools to implement, manage, and measure environmentally sustainable businesses
- Critically evaluate existing businesses and case studies and make recommendations for improving sustainability
- Define key terms such as natural capital, biomimicry, cradle to cradle, carbon footprint, industrial ecology, and others
- Build an environmentally sustainable business plan appropriately incorporating new thinking and trends
- Teacher: Georgiana Karadas
As an introductory course on social responsibility projects, the objective is to provide students with an understanding of the strategic relationship between business, society, and the environment - Why Social Responsibility? The course will cover both the corporate/business and social perspectives. Using a systems approach, the course will cover approaches and framework surrounding social responsibility as well as emerging trends, best practices, innovation, strategies and tools. Students will gain knowledge of strategic social responsibility as well as practical tools and new approaches for effective design, implementation and increased impact in projects. This course will add to the student's growing understanding of international business and its strategic relationship and role.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Identify and understand the key drivers, current trends, and developments behind corporate social responsibility
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the strategic nature of CSR, sustainability and its impact on and relationship to society, business, policy, and the environment
- Expand knowledge of international business, responsible globalization, and develop an ability to apply CSR principles to current business situations
- Critically evaluate cases, proposals, and new trends in social responsibility
- Identify, understand, and evaluate key components and critical success factors of a good CSR project
- Learn tools and procedures for effective CSR project management, monitoring, evaluation, impact and communication
- Learn to write effective CSR proposals and reports and how to communicate results
The student is expected to demonstrate the ability to integrate the concepts of management, marketing, finance, accounting, economics and information systems to analyze interdisciplinary cases and simulated management situations, review selected key business and economic concepts and tools and apply these to complex business situations and to apply analytical, decision- making and communication skills.
Bu derste amaçlanan çeşitli sosyal bilimlerdeki öğrencilere iktisat bilimini tanıtmaktır. Mikro iktisat eğitimi sonrasında öğrenciler hane halkı, piyasalar, mal ve hizmet üretimi, pazar işleyişi, ekonomi biliminin önemi gibi konularda teknik ve teorik bilgilere ulaşacaklardır.
- Teacher: Hasan Rustemoglu
The aim of this course is to give the students an understanding of computer fundamentals such as the four basic components of the computer, input, output, storage devices and processing, application and system softwares, utility programs and internet basics. At the end of this course students will be familiar with the computer terminology and able to use the word processing and spreadsheet programs as well as efficient internet usage.
The course focuses on the function of ply in psychological, social and cultural development of human beings. Emphasis will be placed on the possibility of how play can be incorporated in social work interventions with children, families and individual adults.
- Teacher: Carolina Petry
This course provides an introduction to sociology as a social science. Using a variety of theoretical perspectives and analytic approaches we will examine patterns of social behavior and the social institutions which influence such behavior. This course is intended to help you better understand how social definitions are developed and applied, as well as learn what these definitions and applications mean for our everyday lives.
Bu derste, öğrencilere 'Yönetim Bilişim Sistemleri' ile ilgili temel kavramları kazandırmanın yanı sıra, proje çalışmaları yoluyla bilişim sistemlerinin uygulama yöntemleri, yararları ve sınırlılıkları konusunda öğrencilerin farkındalık ve bilgi düzeylerini artırmayı hedeflenmektedir.